Saturday, October 3, 2009

it begins — announcing me and the CPDRC

Hi World!

I am an artist, a writer and a traveler based in New York City. Check out my website: www.bridgetbatch.com. This means I have a very fortunate life for which I am grateful. And that is all you need to know about me at the moment. I hope the rest can be ascertained from this blog.

Post number one regards a story that my husband, the fabulous photographer Kevin Cooley, and I have just completed. We went to the Philippines to find out more about these guys — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o. They are the youTube-famous dancing inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) in Cebu City, Philippines. The show that we saw, on August 29, 2009, was one of the strangest and most joyful things I've ever experienced.

Please check out Kevin's pictures here: http://redux.wg.picturemaxx.com/series/1.146.

Here are two:

(CPDRC performance)


(inmate with a tattoo of the name of the prison director, Byron Garcia)

And as a shameless plug, this is a great feature article and photo essay. We are currently looking for a magazine publisher. It's an amazing story of redemption. Please contact us for more information.

So you, the reader, I am hoping that you will tell me about your reaction the first time you saw this video, whether it was now, or some other time in the past few years. Email me at bridget@bridgetbatch.com and tell me about it. I've written one article about the "Dancing for Discipline" program that has lead to these shows. Read the current draft here! However, I think the combination of emotions that these performances evoke deserves more exploration than can be covered in one article. Please write me and tell me all about your response.

The success of the CPDRC inmates, and the prison director who designed this program, Byron Garcia, is a unique story of the Internet, global pop culture, and one man’s experiment coming together to make a positive contribution to the world.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
*bridget batch*

No comments:

Post a Comment