Saturday, March 12, 2011

Friday Night City Lights

Spirit, California, by bridget batch
© 2011 bridget batch


I guess most people probably don't consider hanging out by a sluiceway of the L.A. River their ideal Friday night. I've already worked through the "going out" jones. Not many more surprises could wait for me in the bars of the world. A hidden gate and entryway into a forbidden place is far more engaging. Kevin and I photograph beside each other, on our own pieces or helping the other with one. One of his thoughts leads to mine, one of mine leads to his, the feedback loop goes from quivering to straight and strong, and loud.

The Los Angeles River, I didn't even know such a thing existed before I came here -- I hadn't seen Chinatown. I wonder if many Angelenos are unaware of its existence. About a month ago, some musicians from Manitoba were fished out of it. They were illegally "sailing" down its banks in order to make some sort of music video. Apparently the waters, which lie completely encased in concrete in a monument to more ancient urban blight, can be quite dangerous.

More about the LA River.
http://www.rocktheboatfilm.com/
The River Project


Recreational Vehicle, California, by bridget batch
© 2011 bridget batch

No comments:

Post a Comment