Monday, September 24, 2012

The Dispatches Commence

Some people move to other cities for graduate school. Some people do not. Some move 4 months ahead of time, most about 3 weeks ahead of time. And others, like myself, are three weeks into the semester and just barely in the first sublet, after staying with friends for three weeks. My husband's in Mongolia, the condo he owns in Brooklyn is ALMOST rented, and despite being in Los Angeles and commuting an hour and a half to school each day, I still don't own a car.

That is the beginning of my sojourn to Cal Arts. It's a little distracting.

I had planned on working on new work as Kevin and I drove across the country but that drive did not come to pass. Kevin had too many opportunities to be able to leave with me. I flew out to Cali at the last minute in order to help rent my apartment. That was unfortunate. I don't know if it made a difference and it meant that i missed being able to make a stopover in Minnesota to see my family.

But I am here and despite those troubles, I am picking through the life hassles one at a time. Maybe I am too patient. I have barely commenced the actual business of really making art, but we just got our studios anyway - two weeks into the semester. Um, what is up with that Cal Arts?

I have heard several complaints about the running of the Institute itself but I don't feel this is the place for that. People complain a lot, all the time, about everything, everywhere you go. Although I've long resented the narrative I grew up with - the constant refrain that life is hard - I am seeing that it has made me more resilient. I think I might need to switch over too "just a spoonful of sugar" though. It's about time to start having some fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment